Today we have had some very special visitors named Lily and Ginger. They came to answer the question, “Do brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs?” Well, you’ve probably guessed, we got chickens earlier today!
We learnt all about how the skeleton of the chicken differs from ous and how the chicken is designed to be very very light. Also, it’s a myth that chickens can’t fly!
– White chickens lay white eggs and brown chickens lay brown eggs. It is all to do with the pigment in their shells. You can look at their ear lobes to double check!
– Chickens don’t wee!
– Chickens breathe in and out at the same time!
– Chickens don’t have teeth but they do have tongues.
– They have a bag of stones in their throat called a gizzard which helps break up food.
– They are the closest living relative to the Tyrannosaurus Rex!
– A chicken lived for 6weeks without its head!
– The brain is 1/5 the size of a similar sized rabbit – tiny!